- Full Name: Steven Peter Devereux Smith
- Born: June 02, 1989, Sydney, New South Wales
- Age: 34 years, 83 days
- Also Known As: Steve Smith
- Batting Style: Right-hand Bat
- Bowling Style: Legbreak Googly
- Playing Role: Middle Order Batter
- Antigua Hawksbills
- Australia A
- Australian Institute of Sports
- Australian XI
- Barbados Tridents
- Comilla Victorians
- Delhi Capitals
- Kent 2nd XI
- Kochi Tuskers Kerala
- New South Wales
- New South Wales Second XI
- New South Wales Under-19s
- Pune Warriors
- Rajasthan Royals
- Rising Pune Supergiants
- Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Surrey 2nd XI
- Sydney Sixers
- Toronto Nationals
Steven Smith Introduction
Steven Smith, an Australian cricket sensation, excels in all formats. Amid his remarkable achievements, his role in the 2018 Newlands ball-tampering scandal takes the spotlight, causing a significant crisis in Australian cricket culture.
Smith’s journey has been a series of twists and turns. He began his career as a legspinner, but his transformation into Australia’s best batter since Sir Donald Bradman is truly astonishing. However, this journey was not without setbacks, as he faced a ball-tampering scandal that led to his captaincy being stripped and a 12-month ban.
A Remarkable Comeback
After the controversy at Newlands in 2018, Smith made a near-miraculous comeback. He returned to Test cricket with a stunning 774-run Ashes series in 2019. His triumphant return was a stark contrast to the earlier image of him in tears at Sydney airport after his disgraceful return from South Africa.
Part of Smith’s punishment for his involvement in the Cape Town scandal was a two-year ban from leadership positions. However, once that period was over, he was named Pat Cummins’ vice-captain in late 2021. He also led the side against England when Cummins was unavailable due to Covid.
Versatility and Growth
Smith’s journey began as a legspinner batting at No. 8 in 2010. His batting talent was apparent, but he needed to refine his technique. He returned to the Test side with a more solid technique, becoming the No. 1 Test batter in the world. Known for his quick-footedness and proficiency against spin, he could play a wide range of shots.
A Captain’s Role
When Smith became Australia’s 45th Test captain, he filled in for the injured Michael Clarke. This phase was marked by an impressive run of six hundreds in eight Tests. Despite his relatively young age of 25, the added responsibility didn’t hinder his run-making abilities. Smith solidified his spot when Clarke retired after the 2015 Ashes in England.
Although Smith’s bowling became less frequent, his athleticism and fielding skills remained notable. He also played a pivotal role in Australia’s ODI side, leading them to victory in the 2015 World Cup. He became captain across all formats before his career faced an unexpected upheaval.
Steven Smith Career Statistics
Here’s an overview of Steven Smith’s career statistics:
Steven Smith Records
- Most player-of-the-match awards: 10th (13)
- Most runs in a series by a captain: 9th (687)
- Highest career batting average: 9th (58.61)
- Hundred in each innings of a match: Record
- Two unbeaten fifties in a match: Record
- Hundred and a duck in a match: Record
- Fastest to 8000 runs: 1st (151)
- Most catches in an innings: 1st (5)
- 5000 runs and 50 fielding dismissals: Record
- Most runs in an innings by a captain: 9th (164)
- Most hundreds in a series: 6th (3)
- Highest partnership for the third wicket: 3rd (242)
- Most catches by a substitute in an innings: 3rd (2)
- Hundreds in consecutive matches: 4th (4)
Combined Test, ODI and T20I records
- Fifties in consecutive innings: 3rd (7)
- Most catches in career: 10th (288)
This collection of records reflects Steven Smith’s extraordinary achievements across various formats of cricket.
|TEST MATCHES||Australia vs Pakistan at Lord’s – July 13 – 16, 2010||England vs Australia at The Oval – July 27 – 31, 2023|
|ODI MATCHES||Australia vs West Indies at Melbourne – February 19, 2010||India vs Australia at Chennai – March 22, 2023|
|T20I MATCHES||Australia vs Pakistan at Melbourne – February 05, 2010||Australia vs Afghanistan at Adelaide – November 04, 2022|
|FC MATCHES||West Aust vs NSW at Sydney – January 25 – 28, 2008||England vs Australia at The Oval – July 27 – 31, 2023|
|LIST A MATCHES||Queensland vs NSW at Brisbane – December 12, 2007||India vs Australia at Chennai – March 22, 2023|
|T20 MATCHES||South Aust vs NSW at Adelaide – January 01, 2008||Sixers vs Scorchers at Perth – January 28, 2023|
Steven Smith’s cricket journey is a tale of resilience, growth, and remarkable achievements. His ability to overcome challenges and consistently excel on the field cements his legacy as one of the greatest cricketers of his era.